Thamir (Tom) Murad, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Employer and position
Siemens Canada – Country Lead – Engineering, Technology & Academics.
Head of Siemens Canada Engineering & Technology Academy “SCETA”
- Doctorate of Engineering (Ph.D.) – Power Electronics & Industrial Controls, Loughborough University of Technology – UK., 1985
- B.Sc. Engineering – Electrical & Electronics,1977
- Siemens Canada, 2010 – Present
- Country Lead – Engineering, Technology & Academic Relations, Since 2016
- Head of Siemens Canada Engineering & Technology Academy “SCETA”, Since 2014
- Head of Expert House & Engineering Director – Industry CS, 2010 – 2014
- JNE Consulting, 2009 – 2010
- Director – Power Systems & Special Projects
- AZZ Inc. (Blenkhorn & Sawle), 2001 – 2009
- General Manager, VP, SVP & COO
Activities in advocacy organizations
- Member of the PEO Order of Honor, 2017
- Fellow of Engineers Canada, 2013
- Member of Board of Directors:
- IEEE Canada, 2016 – 2018
- German Canadian Centre for Innovation & Research ” GCCIR”, 2016 – 2018
- Green Centre Canada, 2013 – 2015
- Fielding Environmental – Board Advisor (Innovation), Since 2013
- Member of PEO’s Experience Review Committee (ERC), Since 2004
- Chair – IEEE Greater Toronto Section’s Executive committee, 2016 – 2018
- Advisory Council – Ryerson University Faculty of Engineering
- Humber College – Applied Technologies Dean’s Board Member, Since 2018
- Member of Halton Champions of Innovation Round Table, Since 2014
Years of registration with profession
- Ontario – PEO, Since 1998
- Alberta – APEGA, Since 2006
- North Western Territories – NAPEG, Since 2013
Other professional affiliations
- IEEE – Senior Member, 1998
I am privileged by the opportunity to serve in the OSPE Board, as I believe that advocating the Engineer’s voice in our community is needed to build a better Ontario, where we Live, work and innovate.
I spent over 40 Years so far practicing Engineering, in Canada and Overseas, with various Industrial and Academic organizations. Learned a lot and gained a wealth of technical and business experience from my mentors in Engineering and Business leaders, which I implemented in the field and managing critical projects and organizations, and continuously trying my best in delivering the torch to the next generation of Canadian Engineers and Technical Experts.
I genuinely believe that Engineering Profession is a noble one, as creative as it is in building and enhancing the economic and social well-being of our society and humanity at large. This should be recognized and promoted positively to position Engineers as active community leaders.
I think that my diverse experience enables me to contribute to the OSPE Board and Membership in making sound decisions to provide logical and wise direction for OSPE various Committee’s and other initiatives’ implementation.
I am very passionate and focused on critical topics to our profession including: Education / skills Enhancement, Women in Engineering, and Innovation.
For more information visit https://www.ospe.on.ca/board-elections